Skills acquired in this master program
- Solid command of quantitative economics
- Expertise in a wide range of specializations in different fields of economics
- Competence in both theoretical and empirical approaches, from foundation to applications and policy
- Facility with the tools necessary to successfully pursue a top PhD in economics
Course offerings and syllabus
- Graduates in economics, mathematics or engineering
- Aspiring PhD students looking for a rigorous master program in economics
- Junior economic analysts looking for a postgraduate degree with advanced tools in quantitative economics
Yes, the Economics master is designed to prepare students to entry into competitive PhD programs. Some of them join the Barcelona GSE's doctoral programs (GPEFM at Universitat Pompeu Fabra and IDEA at Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona). Others enter top programs elsewhere in Europe or the United States. Read more about GSE alumni doctoral study
In particular the Master in Economics is the main gateway for admission to the PhD Track of the UPF Economics Department.
Admission to the UPF PhD Program from the MSc Economics.
Most students are admitted to the PhD via the “PhD Track 1”. Students who want to be considered for this Track are required to attend all three advanced courses in the first term of the MSc economics. Admittance to the UPF PhD track will be decided at the beginning of January. Admitted students are required to follow the Advanced Courses Sequence for the rest of the Year.
If my background is not strong enough to follow the three advanced courses and apply for the PhD Track 1, can I still apply for the UPF PhD?
A limited number of places will be available for excellent students who do not have a strong enough background in Economics to attend the advanced courses in the first term. These students can apply to the MRes (Master in Research of the UPF Economics Department) to follow the “MRes/PhD Track 2”. If they are admitted, they will be able to apply to the PhD during the first quarter of the MRes. Their admission to the PhD Track will be decided at the end of the first quarter, and will depend on their performance at the Advanced Courses.
Click to view the two tracks timetable.
- Authorities and Government Agencies
- International Organizations
- Research Institutions
- Banking Industry
- Economic Consulting Firms
Program details and structure
- Language of instruction: English
- Structure: 9 months (3 trimesters), full time
- Tuition: 14,500 €
Fees listed are for the 2015-16 academic year and are subject to change for future editions of the master program.
- Campus: Ciutadella (UPF)
- Degree awarded: Master Degree in Economics and Finance (awarded jointly with UPF)
All programs in the Barcelona GSE Master Degree in Economics and Finance have been recognized by the Catalan and Spanish Education authorities within the framework of the Bologna Process (in Spanish, “Master Universitario o Master Oficial”).
Full program description