On June 8th and 9th, the Center for Research in International Economics (CREI), one of the Barcelona GSE founding academic institutions, hosted a conference titled “Financial Crises: Past, Theory, and Future”.
The conference was organized in conjunction with the Center for Economic Policy Research (CEPR), and took place at the Ciutadella campus of the Universitat Pompeu Fabra, site of three of the four Barcelona GSE master programs.
Barcelona GSE Professor and conference organizer Hans-Joachim Voth (right)
The conference united theorists, applied economists, finance specialists, and economic historians to share thoughts and current research. Topics discussed included the causes of financial crisis, their key features, and the main policy options that practitioners must consider.
Among the numerous presenters were Barcelona GSE Affiliated Professors Fernando Broner and Jaume Ventura, who began the conference by presenting their co-authored paper “Globalization and Risk Sharing”.
Another Barcelona GSE Affiliated Professor, Hans-Joachim Voth, later presented his recent paper “Lending to the “Borrower from Hell”: Debt Sustainability in the Age of Philip II” (with Mauricio Drelichman).
The full list of presenters at the conference included:
- Fernando Broner and Jaume Ventura, "Globalization and Risk Sharing"
- Jean Imbs, Paolo Mauro, "Pooling Risk Among Countries"
- Guillermo Felices, Christian Grisse, and Jing Yang, "International Financial Transmission: Emerging and Mature Markets"
- Kris Mitchener and Marc Weidenmier, "The Baring Crisis and the Great Latin American Meltdown of the 1890s"
- Bernardo Guimaraes, "Optimal External Debt and Default"
- Mauricio Drelichman, Hans-Joachim Voth, "Lending to the "Borrower from Hell": Debt Sustainability in the Age of Philip II"
- Efraim Benmelech, Michael Bordo, "The Financial Crisis of 1873 and 19th Century American Corporate Governance"
- Marcus Miller, "Fisher, Keynes and Endogenous Growth: a Framework for Emerging Market Crises?"
- Giovanni Cespa, Xavier Vives, "Dynamic Trading, Asset Prices, and Bubbles"
- Elroy Dimson, Paul Marsh, Mike Staunton, "Volatility and Portfolio Protection Over 107 Years"
- David Skeie, "Money and Modern Banking without Bank Runs"
- Jeronimo Zettelmeyer, Olivier Jeanne and Jonathan Ostry, "Crisis Lending, Moral Hazard, and IMF Conditionality"
Several other conferences are scheduled to take place on the Ciutadella campus of the Barcelona GSE during the 2007 summer, including the INFORMS Revenue Management and Pricing Section Conference (June 28-29), the Euro-Latin Study Network on Integration and Trade Conference (October 26-27), a CREI organized conference titled "How Much Structure in Empirical Models?" (November 16-17) and CREI-CEPR Conference on "Sovereign Risk” (December 14-15).
Barcelona GSE Affiliated Professor Fernando Broner presents his research