After reaching its first 200 PhD graduates and 25 years of activity, this September the Graduate Programme in Economics Finance and Management (GPEFM) organized the first PhD Alumni Meeting at UPF Ciutadella Campus in Barcelona. More than 50 alumni and dozens of faculty members, past and present, participated in the event.
The meeting's activities included an academic conference with research presentations by GPEFM alumni and a roundtable on "Graduate Education in Europe, Past and Future Challenges."
- Former GPEFM faculty member Antonio Cabrales (University College London)
- Barcelona GSE Director Teresa Garcia-Milà (UPF and Barcelona GSE)
- GPEFM Director Robin Hogarth (UPF and Barcelona GSE)
- Barcelona GSE Chairman Ramon Marimon (EUI-UPF and Barcelona GSE)
- Barcelona GSE Founder Andreu Mas-Colell (UPF and Barcelona GSE - on leave)
Barcelona GSE Director Teresa Garcia-Milà (center) speaks at the meeting.
Top placements in academia and the professional world
The GPEFM doctoral program is organized jointly with UPF and the Barcelona GSE. Since GPEFM began, it has awarded 217 PhDs to an international student body who have gone on to academic and professional positions in some of the most distinguished organizations around the world:
GPEFM academic placements
- Bocconi University
- European University Institute
- Humboldt University
- Paris School of Economics
- Stanford University
- Universidad Carlos III
- University of Chicago
- University of Oxford
GPEFM professional placements
- Central banks: European Central Bank, United States Federal Reserve, central banks of Chile, England, Italy, Mexico, and Peru, among others
- International institutions: The World Bank, IMF, Inter-American Development Bank
- Financial sector: UBS, Credit Suisse, JP Morgan-Chase, Goldman Sachs
Many GPEFM alumni are also graduates of the Barcelona GSE master's programs.