The graduating PhD students of the UAB and UPF Economics PhD programs – both of which are reference doctoral programs of the Barcelona GSE – have accepted prestigious job offers for the coming academic year.
The two programs – the International Doctorate in Economic Analysis (IDEA) and the Graduate Program in Economics, Finance, and Management (GPEFM) – have been developed and organized directly by two of the Barcelona GSE founding academic institutions: the Unit of Economic Analysis of the UAB, and the Department of Economics and Business of the UPF, respectively. A substantial portion of the Barcelona GSE affiliated professors are involved with the programs in a variety of capacities.
The PhD programs possess a worldwide reputation largely due to their dynamic faculty and the exceptional post-graduation placements received by PhD candidates. This is evidenced by a 2006 paper by Rabah Amir and M. Knauff, "Ranking Economics Departments Worldwide on the Basis of PhD Placement". The authors developed a ranking system of economics departments based on the prestige of the current employing departments of their PhD graduates. According to this ranking, the UPF and UAB Economics departments are ranked among the top 15 European universities, quantitatively demonstrating the success achieved by their graduating PhDs.
Of the 21 PhD candidates, 10 have accepted offers at financial institutions spread throughout Europe and the Americas. The 11 others accepted offers at top universities in Europe, the USA, South America, and Australia. Below is a full list of the graduating doctoral students' placements.
A sign for the UAB's Graduate School
2007 IDEA Program Graduates
- Alonso, Eduard. Universidad Pablo Olavide (Spain)
- Brindusa Anghel. Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (Spain)
- Brychcy, David. Dresdner Kleinwort Investment Bank (London, UK)
- De Marti, Joan. Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Spain)
- Dmitriev, Alexandre. University of New South Wales (Australia)
- Flores, Ricardo. Universitat Rovira i Virgili (Tarragona, Spain)
- Gomez, Nicolás. Banco de México y Universidad Iberoamericana (Mexico)
- Jurecka, Magdalena. Bank for International Settlements (Basel, Switzerland)
- Lasak, Katarzyna. University of Aarhus (Denmark)
- Lipinska, Anna. Bank of England (London, UK)
- López, Arnoldo. Banco Central de México (Mexico)
- Morales, Jesús. Banco Central de Venezuela (Venezuela)
- Pereira, Isabel. United Nations Human Development Program (New York, USA)
- Rivas, Maria Fernanda. Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (Spain)
2007 GPEFM Program Graduates
- Campolmi, Alessia. Central European University & Central Bank of Hungary (Hungary)
- Cojuharenco, Irina. Universidade Catolica Portuguesa (Portugal)
- Gnocchi, Stefano. Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (Spain)
- Montoriol, Judit. Federal Reserve Bank of Boston (USA)
- Nunes, Ricardo. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (Washington)
- Nupia, Oscar. Universidad de Los Andes (Colombia)
- Sprenger, Carsten. International College of Economics and Finance ICEF (Moscow, Russia)