The Barcelona GSE Data Science Center coordinates and promotes interdisciplinary and methodological research, training, and knowledge transfer in Data Science.
The Barcelona GSE’s faculty includes world-leading academics working in the Data Science field, leading Data Science researchers working in industry, and Data Science practitioners. The school currently offers a Master in Data Science (the first such program in Europe), a Summer School in Data Science, and recently organized the first Barcelona Data Science Meeting with more than 150 participants from academia, industry, and public administration. It has also collaborated in Data Science training and applied projects with leading entities from the private and public sector.
A new journal, Mathematical Statistics and Learning, published by the European Mathematical Society has just been launched. The journal is devoted to research articles of the highest quality in all aspects of Mathematical Statistics and Learning, including those studied in traditional areas of Statistics and in Machine Learning as well as in Theoretical Computer Science and Signal Processing.
Editors: Luc Devroye (McGill), Gabor Lugosi (ICREA-UPF and BGSE), Shahar Mendelson (Technion and ANU), Elchanan Mossel (MIT), Mike Steele (U. Pennsylvania), Alexandre Tsybakov (ENSAE), Roman Vershynin (U. Michigan).
Associate Editors: Sebastien Bubeck (Microsoft Research), Andrea Montanari (Stanford), Jelani Nelson (Harvard), Philippe Rigollet (MIT), Sara van de Geer (ETH – Zurich), Ramon van Handel (Princeton), Rachel Ward (UT – Austin).
Members, research, and activities
Members of the BGSE Data Science Center
Collaborators of the Barcelona GSE Data Science Center include:
- Academics who carry out research in Statistics, Machine Learning and the social sciences
- Machine Learning researchers from the industry
- Practitioners from the data science and analytics industry
The Center has a visitor program and provides mentoring to PhD students.See all members
Data Science Research
Our main research directions
- Applied Statistics, Management Science
- Graphical Models and Network Analysis
- High-dimensional Statistics
- Stochastic Analysis and Malliavin Calculus
- Computational Statistics and Monte Carlo Methods
- Time Series and Econometrics
Master's Degree in Data Science
- Launched in 2014, the first program of its kind in Europe
- Students include graduates from Berkeley, Oxford, LSE, Boston University, Indian Institute of Technology, and Carnegie Mellon, among other top institutions
- A growing number of companies collaborate with an industrial practicum, guest lectures and workshops
- Directors: Christian Fons-Rosen (UPF and BGSE) and Omiros Papaspiliopoulos (ICREA-UPF and BGSE)
Summer School in Data Science
Courses for Summer 2017:
The Data Science Toolbox and Machine Learning
taught by Alexandros Karatzoglou and Ilias Leontiadis (Telefónica Research)
Bayesian Machine Learning in Social Sciences
taught by Stephen Hansen (University of Oxford), Omiros Papaspiliopoulos (ICREA-UPF and BGSE), David Rossell (University of Warwick, visiting UPF), and Tim Stumpf-Fetizon (UPF)
Barcelona Data Science Meeting
A two-day conference exploring Data Science research and applications for business and institutions
Inaugural edition (2016)
- 157 researchers and practitioners from 80+ institutions in Europe and the United States
- 16 speakers and panelists including keynotes by:
Pedro Cosa Fernandez (Channel 4), Andrew Gelman (Columbia University), and Nicolas Le Roux (Criteo)
- Organizers: José García-Montalvo (UPF and BGSE) and Omiros Papaspiliopoulos (ICREA-UPF and BGSE)
- Co-organized with Fundación Ramón Areces and hosted by UPF