Information for Journalists
"Barcelona Graduate School of Economics" is the full, official title of the institution. We request that the media use either this or the shorter version “Barcelona GSE” when referring to the school. If the name must be shortened further to avoid repetition, the acronym "BGSE" may be used.
Barcelona GSE Fact Sheet
- Barcelona GSE is a private foundation supported by public academic institutions (UPF, UAB, IAE-CSIC, and CREI) and private institutions whose objective is to promote graduate education and research in economics. The creation of graduate schools is a fundamental element in the development of research clusters in the social sciences.
- Barcelona GSE was founded in fall 2006 and offers masters programs in economics for an international student body. All programs are taught in English and are characterized by academic excellence.
- The masters have a duration of nine months (September - June).
- Two of the programs (Economics and Finance) existed for over 10 years as UPF programs and are now offered jointly and administered by the Barcelona GSE. The other masters are awarded jointly with UAB and UPF.
- The first Barcelona GSE Summer School was offered in 2007. The current summer school offer includes courses in Banking, Competition Economics, Corporate Finance, Data Science, Econometrics, Labor Economics, Macroeconomics, and Political Economy. The courses draw hundreds of participants each year.
- The Barcelona GSE has been ranked by RePEc among the Top 30 economic research institutions and the Top 20 economics departments in the world. It ranks the Barcelona GSE among the Top 10 in Europe and number one in Spain.
- Every June, hundreds of economists participate in the Barcelona GSE Summer Forum, a series of workshops covering most fields of economic research.
- Barcelona GSE hosted the 24th Congress of the European Economic Association and the Econometric Society European Meeting in August 2009. Attending were nearly 1800 academics, mainly from Europe and North America.
Master degrees and programs:
- Master Degree in Economics and Finance
- Master Degree in Specialized Economic Analysis
- Master Degree in Data Science
© Barcelona Graduate School of Economics. All rights reserved.